Friday, December 30, 2011

7 Advantages (Blessings) and Disadvantages (Burdens) of My Life With Diabetes

These are the 7 advantages and disadvantages of diabetes according to my personal experience:

ADVANTAGES:
1.       Made me realize that I needed overall discipline in my life.
2.       I eat the way everyone is “supposed” to eat (food group portions).
3.       To be organized.
4.       Being responsible for getting what I need (insulin, food, syringes, testing supplies).
5.       Allowed me to open up to people that were going to be around me and that needed to know what diabetes is and how it affects me personally.
6.       I am under constant medical supervision.
7.       Allowed me to be aware of others in similar conditions and give advice.

DISADVANTAGES:
1.       Not being able to eat candy or sweets as much as I would like to.
2.       Extra things to carry around (insulin, syringes, glucose meter, testing strips).
3.       Health risks from High Glucose levels in the blood (Hyperglycemia).
4.       Health risks from Low Glucose levels in the blood (Hypoglycemia).
5.       The memory of my grandfather dying from diabetes complications.
6.       The frustration of the disease having “No Cure”.
7.       Constant medical supervision and supplies are very expensive.

I hope these advantages and disadvantages from my experience with type I diabetes give some insight as to what diabetics feel sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment