Monday, December 12, 2011

Juvenile Diabetes: The Personal Triumph of a Determined Diabetic Athlete

I have always been a very active individual. I participated in sports and extracurricular activities every opportunity I had.  Growing up, I was one of those kids that would hurry to get home so that I could finish my homework and go out and play or practice soccer with my friends. I was always one of the first kids from the block to come out to play and the last kid to go home.  I loved playing any kind of sport and as long as I was active I was content.


At the age of 11, I no longer felt the desire to go out and play or even go to soccer practice, which I could never get enough of. A very strange thing was happening. I was always tired and sleepy, which was not the norm for me at all.  Every day I felt more and more exhausted even though I had not done any sort of physical activity.  I realized that part of my exhaustion was due to my lack of sleep. I was losing sleep because I was getting up every hour on the hour to go to the restroom. I had never had that problem before and really did not think much of it. I did notice that I developed an unquenchable thirst and of course, the more liquids I drank, the more I needed to go to the restroom.


My mother noticed a change in my energy, constant thirst and increased bathroom trips, and as any mother would, she became worried. After a trip to my pediatrician and a hospital visit for lab work, I was diagnosed with type I diabetes. Little did I know that the burger, fries and soda I had that day was the last meal I would have as a presumed non-diabetic. I did not know, nor did I understand what type I juvenile diabetes was. I began to realize how serious my diagnosis was based on my parents’ reaction to the news and knew it had to be serious enough after I was admitted to the hospital for several days. Being told that I could no longer eat candy, cookies, chips, or anything sweet for that matter, is not something an 11 year old wants to hear.  I remember the doctor saying that if I took care of myself, I would have a 99% chance of living a somewhat normal life, if not, I probably would not see my 21st birth day.


From that point on I have tried to keep my body in good physical shape with exercise, proper nutrition and physician prescribed medicine (insulin).  I am now 35 years old and have learned that many factors can negatively affect my glucose levels. Forgetting to take my insulin is one obvious factor, (which on occasion has been known to happen) but other factors may not be as obvious. Stress, depression, and even anger can affect glucose levels. Following my doctors’ orders has helped me reach all the goals I have set for myself. Not only did I graduate from high school, I received a Bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology and Sports Medicine, as well as a Masters degree in Kinesiology and Exercise Physiology. My accomplishments were not limited to education but also extended into sports. I participated in my high school’s soccer playoffs my senior year, participated in the National Soccer Club Association (NSCA) with UTEP and played 2 national tournaments. Professionally, I was part of the El Paso (Texas) Patriots Pro Soccer Team. I also played for the Volcanes de Colima in Colima Mexico and was later promoted to first division soccer with Tecos de Guadalajara, also in Mexico.
I am now coaching youth soccer with the Premier Panthers Soccer Club in El Paso and hold the position of director for one the many recreation centers in El Paso’s Parks and Recreation Department.  I could not have reached my goals if I had not taken care of my diabetes properly. Understanding how my body reacted to exercise, food, stress, and other internal and external factors helped me gain control of my type I diabetes. I did not let my disease interfere with my love of soccer nor did I let diabetes prevent me from living a long, full life. I took control of my diabetes and so can you.

No comments:

Post a Comment